Winter can be a beautiful time of year, but winter weather can wreak havoc on your home. Colder temperatures, ice, and snow can cause ice dams, slips and falls, and other unpleasant winter-related issues. Properly maintaining your home may aid in keeping common home problems at bay this winter.
Use these 10 tips to help you avoid winter woes at home and truly enjoy the chilly season.
- Stop the drafts: repair caulking around doors and windows, along with any weather stripping.
- Check your fireplace and chimney: have a chimney sweep check your chimney for any debris or cracks, and clean your fireplace.
- Prevent ice dams: clear your roof and gutters of slush after snow to prevent ice damming.
- Clean heating vents: be sure your vent pipes are clear of any obstructions and clear away any dust and debris.
- Stop slippery surfaces: purchase salt, ice melt, or sand before snow falls to prevent slippery sidewalks, steps, and driveways.
- Keep entryways clean: use mats and boot trays for wet shoes and boots. Place a tray underneath clothing hooks when drying wet items.
- Check for leaks: check your attic and crawlspace for signs of a water leak and repair any leaks as soon as possible.
- Protect your air conditioner: place a sheet of plywood with a few bricks on top of your AC to prevent falling ice or debris from damaging your unit.
- Pack a winter emergency kit: prepare a kit that includes bottled water, nonperishable food, flashlights, first-aid supplies, batteries, a phone charger, and a blanket in case of emergency.
- Turn off outside water: turn off the water supply to outside faucets to prevent broken pipes.
At Strate Insurance Group, we’re here to help families in the Lakeway Area insure and protect their house and other assets. Winter maintenance is important, but being properly insured is, too. Call me if you’d like to learn more: 423-318-5805.